How to install Zoom?
The program can be downloaded on the official Zoom website. The platform is available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS operating systems and has a plugin that allows users to use Zoom directly in the Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browser.
Zoom does not require special settings after installation. All that is required of the user before starting work is to register an account in the program. There are two ways to do this:
- Create a new and unique e-mail account for Zoom;
- Link your Google or Facebook account to the Zoom platform.
After that, you will be transferred to the main window of the video chat, where you can start a new video conference or join an existing conference by an ID identifier. Your personal ID is listed in the Meeting tab at the top of the Zoom window.
How to protect your Zoom call from hackers?
Technical experts claim that Zoom has defects that can help hackers hack video conferencing. In January 2020, an Israeli cybersecurity company Check Point discovered a vulnerability that allowed it to listen to non-password protected conversations and receive all the files that were distributed during such conferences. Since then, all conversations in the cam chat are password protected. In addition, British media reported that hackers were able to infiltrate private video chat rooms and start a pornographic video.
Experts say that you can protect yourself from hackers. To do this, you need to follow some rules.
- Invitations to video conferences should be private – a limited number of employees can get such invitations in personal messages. The problem with Zoom is that it is impossible to track who received the invitation and whether they used it.
- Do not use your personal meeting ID. Quite frequently, conference organizers copy their personal meeting identifier (PMI) and use it for all video conferences in the online video chat. However, if someone gets a link to your personal “room”, he/she may come in and interrupt work. Then the only way to avoid such uninvited guests is to set a password for everything, including PMI calls. The best approach is to generate unique identifiers for your appointments.
- Be sure to use a password for all video conferencing. A unique password is automatically generated for each scheduled meeting in the cam; it must be sent as part of the invitation to all participants.
- Turn off screen sharing. If you do not do it, anyone can take control of your videoconference.